A delicious way to end the day - our Saucy Veggie Chilli.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 red or white onion, chopped
1 red and or green capsicum, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
½ teaspoon salt, divided
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 large can (28 ounces) or 2 small cans (15 ounces each) of diced tomatoes, with their juices
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chilli powder (add more if you like it extra spicy)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika (add more if you like it extra spicy)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnishing
1 to 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or lime juice, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated cheese (we love cheddar, parmesan could work too)
Sour cream or plain yoghurt (we love greek)
Sliced or diced avocado
Tortilla chips (crumbled if desired on top or you can use as a spoon)
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering.
2. Add the chopped onion, capsicum, carrots, celery and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and the onion is clear, (about 7 to 10 minutes).
3. Add the spices, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano. Cook until aromatic while stirring constantly (about a minute).
4. Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the drained the black and pinto beans and add, add veggie broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Let the mixture come to a simmer.
5. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes. Remove pot from the heat.
6. Add the chopped cilantro, stir to blend, and then mix in the vinegar, to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dish into individual bowls and serve with toppings of your choice. This chilli will keep well in the refrigerator for about 4 days or you can freeze.
(picture is an example only)