Latest News

Brisbane show Bennett the NRL door

Brisbane show Bennett the NRL door.jpg

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is seen at a media conference in Brisbane, Friday, November 30, 2018. (AAP Image/Glenn Hunt)

Wayne Bennett's 25-season reign with Brisbane is over, with the NRL club announcing they have terminated the seven-time premiership coach's contract.

Sunday's sensational move ends a month-long stand-off between the two parties and paves the way for South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold to take over in Brisbane.

Bennett is set to join the Rabbitohs in 2019, a year earlier than the pair's mooted coaching swap, after a bitter falling-out with Broncos powerbrokers.

Only on Friday, Bennett stunned the rugby league world by promising to dig his heels in and stick out the final year of his contract in Brisbane.

But the Broncos have since opted to part ways with the competition's most experienced mentor following a spectacular outburst from Seibold.

The Broncos coach-in-waiting launched a stinging attack on Bennett on Saturday and revealed the emotional toll on his young family.

"I have had a gutful," Seibold told News Corp Australia.

"I've been sitting here for four weeks and feeling like a punching bag.

"It's not acceptable and it's not fair."

The reigning NRL coach of the year said he had twice been told by the Rabbitohs that he'd be coaching the Broncos in 2019 and he had actually packed up and cleaned out his office at the Rabbitohs on Thursday afternoon.

Seibold pointed the finger firmly at Bennett for "playing games".

"I told my wife and three daughters we're leaving. We've told the kids twice we're moving and then twice that we're staying," he said.

"They've been in tears. We're trying to sort out their schools. It's really taking its toll on them."

Bennett had previously denied any contact with Souths players but Seibold said the veteran coach had phoned Damien Cook, Alex Johnston and Sam Burgess about his plans for the Redfern club before Friday's bombshell.

© AAP 2018