Latest News

4bu hero news

More evacuations ahead of Qld bushfires

Sunshine Coast residents face another tense night as a fast-moving bushfire that jumped roads like a "flamethrower" continues to rage.

Fire conditions could deteriorate into Tuesday evening as forecast southeasterly winds increase, authorities say.

It comes as more than 5000 people from 2500 homes were evacuated over the last 24 hours due to the fire, which may have been deliberately lit.

Residents have been warned it is still too dangerous for them to go home.

"We're not out of the woods yet, unfortunately," Noosa Mayor Tony Wellington said on Tuesday night.

"It is not entirely safe but also because there is yet to be power put on in those areas."

Queensland Acting Premier Jackie Trad said forty more homes were evacuated at Weyba Downs, just inland from the hard-hit Peregian Beach area, as winds picked up on Tuesday.

So far just two homes are confirmed destroyed, with up to 10 other properties damaged.

Water bombers are attacking the fire from the sky as crews struggled to gain the upper hand.

Ms Trad describes the efforts of fire fighters in the face of Monday's firestorm as nothing short of "herculean".

About 112 fire trucks were called in to battle the inferno which still has not been contained on Tuesday afternoon.

Residents like Robert Campbell have spoken of the shocking sight and fears for their homes.

Mr Campbell said he was stopped by authorities while returning from dinner on Monday night and told to flee. He still hasn't seen his home.

"It's surreal, I won't know the damage until we find out," Mr Campbell told AAP on Tuesday.

He watched fire race through backyards and scrubland.

"Basically the trail behind us was starting to go up, you could see trees in yards going up," he said.

"The fire was coming with us, just following us up the street.

"Birds were flying through the flames, they were gone."

He's still not allowed to visit the area due to the fires but remains optimistic.

"We were about 300 metres from where those flames were ... We're optimistic."

Mr Campbell spend Monday night in a Noosaville evacuation centre.

Another Peregian Beach resident, Joan Sawyer, is worried about being possibly being left homeless.

She left her place after flames jumped across a road like from a "flamethrower".

"That made us realise we've got to go," Ms Sawyer said.

Although terrible, she said the fires had pulled the community together.

"It's a once in a lifetime experience but then the thought of being homeless just hits you," she told AAP.

Police are interviewing three teenagers who reportedly boasted on the internet about starting the fire.

An evacuation order remains in place for residents of Peregian Beach, Peregian Breeze Estate, Marcus Beach and Weyba.

© AAP 2019