Police say there’s been an increase in the theft of box trailers, boat trailers and caravans from Bundaberg and surrounding areas.
In most cases, trailers were only secured by a chain and padlock with offenders cutting the chain to steal the trailer.
Officers are urging owners to review the security of their trailers/caravans and consider the following:
- Installing a wheel clamp.
- Using a hitch/coupling lock (with or without an audible alarm).
- Storing the trailer out of sight in a rear yard, behind locked gates or a closed shed.
- Blocking access to the trailer with a parked vehicle making it difficult to access.
- Installing a GPS tracking device which can assist in locating a stolen trailer and apprehending offenders.